Coffey County Relocation Information

I want to make your transition to Coffey County Kansas seamless so here is some information to help.

Voter Registration
Registration is required before voting. Qualified persons may register at the Coffey County Clerk’s Office in Burlington or at the city halls in Burlington, Gridley, Lebo, LeRoy, Waverly and New Strawn. Voter registration is also available at various agencies including:

  • Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Veterans Administration 
  • Resource Center for Independent Living

Registration closes 14 days prior to any election, and reopens the day after the election. A voter must re‑register following any move or change in residence or name. A voter who fails to vote in 2 consecutive November general and federal elections should contact the Coffey County election office to determine if it is necessary to re‑register.

Election Dates are as follows:
Primary – First Tuesday in August
General – First Tuesday after the first Monday in November

The polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
For additional information, please call the
County Clerk’s Office at (620) 364-2191 or (800) 947-4811, business days from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Vehicle Registration
New Kansas residents must title and register all leased or owned motor vehicles or road trailers in Kansas within 90 days of the date they established residency. The following documents are necessary when titling and registering that vehicle.

  1. Current title.
  2. If there is a lien holder on the vehicle, a copy of the title, front and back, must be provided to the Treasurer’s office.
  3. Proof of a vehicle inspection must be provided to the Treasurer’s office. Vehicle inspections are performed by the Burlington Police Department or the Kansas Highway patrol (a minimal fee is required).
  4. Proof of insurance. Must show company name, the policy number and the expiration for the specific vehicle being titled and registered.

Information about licensing may be obtained by calling the office of the Coffey County Treasurer at (620) 364-5532 or (800) 824-4983, business days from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Kansas Automobile & Motorcycle Driver’s Licenses
Application for a Kansas driver’s license must be made within 90 days of becoming a resident. Out-of-state licenses must be surrendered.

Current Kansas residents who change either their name or residence must notify the Kansas Driver’s License Bureau within 10 days of the change.

Any person operating a motorcycle (on-road) in Kansas is required to have a qualified motorcycle license. Qualifications for a motorcycle license are: 1) a valid automobile driver’s license; and 2) passing the motorcycle written exam and road test. The State of Kansas requires helmets for all motorcycle operators under the age of 18.

Personal Property and Real Property Taxes
Real estate and personal taxes are due December 20th of each tax year. Taxes may be paid in two installments, with the first half due December 20th and the second half due May 10th.
For additional information on property taxes, contact the Coffey County Treasurer at (620) 364-5532 or (800) 824-4983, business days from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Utilities (Electric and Gas)
To make arrangements for utilities contact the following for the specific cities:
Burlington – Electric service Burlington City Hall (620) 364-5334 -Gas service Atmos Energy (888) 442-1313
Gridley – Electric service Westar Energy (800) 774-6101
Lebo – Electric service Westar Energy (800) 774-6101-Gas Lebo City Hall (620) 256-6622
LeRoy – Electric service Westar Energy (800) 774-6101 -Gas service Atmos Energy (888) 442-1313
New Strawn – Electric service Lyon Coffey Electric Coop (620) 364-5121-Gas service Atmos Energy (888) 442-1313
Waverly – Electric & Gas service Westar Energy (800) 774-6101

City Sewer, Water and Trash Service
Water, sewer and trash pick-up services are provided by the cities. To activate services, please contact the appropriate city hall.
Burlington (620) 364-5334
LeRoy (620) 964-2245
Gridley (620) 836-3145
New Strawn (620) 364-8283
Lebo (620) 256-6622
Waverly (785) 733-2461

Rural Water
Several rural water districts provide water service to much of rural Coffey County.
Coffey County Rural Water District #2 (620) 836-4080
Coffey County Rural Water District #3 (620) 364-8099
Osage County Rural Water District #4 (785) 733-2885
Anderson County Rural Water District #4 (785) 489-2290
Anderson County Rural Water District #5 (620) 852-3475
Franklin County Rural Water District #4 (785) 746-5571

Rural Trash Service
Rural trash service providers are listed below:
Waste Management of Paola American Disposal Steve’s Trash Service
(913) 294-5698 or (800) 752-9305 (800) 988-7274 (620) 392-5626

Coffey County Landfill
The address of the Landfill is 1498 12th Lane. It is located northeast of Burlington and is accessed from Native Road and 12th Lane. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday & 1st and 3rd Saturdays 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. All loads must be tarped or properly secured and all household waste, paper and burned material must be bagged. For more information, please call the Landfill at (620) 364‑2048 or (800) 232‑9423.

Coffey County is served by five Unified School Districts and is the home county for three of those districts. The County Clerk’s Office can determine which school district you reside in. To contact the County Clerk’s Office call (620) 364-2191 or (800) 947-4811, business days from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Following are numbers for school superintendent or district offices.
USD #243 Lebo, Waverly (785) 733-2651
USD #244 Burlington, New Strawn (620) 364-8478
USD #245 Gridley, LeRoy (620) 964-2212
USD #252 Hartford (620) 392-5519
USD #365 Garnett (785) 448-6155

Hunting License
All Kansas hunters ages 16 to 65 must have a resident hunting license. All non-resident hunters, regardless of age, must purchase a non-resident hunting license. Any person who has not been a legal resident of the state for 60 days is considered a non-resident. Proof of residency includes a voter registration card, income tax receipts, or a driver’s license. Lifetime license holders are considered Kansas residents in regards to all hunting permits and tags, even if they no longer live in Kansas. Non-residents may purchase a special license that is valid only while hunting on controlled shooting areas. For more information, call the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks office at (785) 296-2281 or the County Clerk’s Office at (620) 364-2191 or (800) 947-4811, business days from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Fishing License
Persons 16 to 65, who have been bona fide residents of the state for 60 days immediately prior to buying a license, must have a state resident license in possession while fishing in Kansas. All licenses expire December 31st of each year, except five-day non-resident, lifetime, and 24-hour fishing licenses. For more information, call the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks office at (785) 296-2281 or the County Clerk’s Office at (620) 364-2191 or (800) 947-4811, business days from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. City permits are required for Gridley City Lake, Lebo City Lake and New Strawn City Lake. See CityClerks for permits.

* All information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate.
This content is provided by the Coffey County Chamber of Commerce.
If you find any of the information is inaccurate please contact us (click here) as soon as possible. Thank you.

Coffey County is located in the heart of Southeast Kansas 15 miles East of Emporia, 21 miles West of Ottawa and 44 miles South of Topeka. The county is easily accessible via Interstate 35 and Highway 75.

The following cities make up Coffey County: Burlington (County seat), Gridley, Lebo, LeRoy, New Strawn, and Waverly. Coffey County is rich in history and community, come explore our energy.